You may have seen a story on the latest Pew Study on religion. The majority of articles focused the increasing number of people who change their religion. With better things to do, and no motivation to do them, I delved into the data, mining it for any interesting tidbits. Here are a few (all links lead to data from the study):
- 2% of Hindus are Hispanic. (See picture above)
- 8% of the members of "Historically Black Churches" aren't black (2% White, 1% Other/Mixed, 4% Hispanic). The majority of these white members belong to Historically Black Pentecostal churches.
- Every religion is at least 40% male. Women make up a majority in every Christian denomination. All other "traditions" are majority male; the largest disparity is among atheists (70% men, 30% women).
- Jehovah's Witnesses: 43% make less that $30,000/year; 70% haven't had any college education.
- The largest percentage of Anglicans (39%) make over $100,000 a year.
- Jews wealthy, educated and old. (Headline from the Jewish Telegraphic Agency)