Tuesday, January 8, 2008

John Boyer: Rank Amatur Movie Trailer Critic

I don't go to the movies as often as Paul does. I tend to pick and choose which films I see each year based on four things:

  1. The reviews
  2. Award Buzz
  3. A certain je ne sais quoi
  4. The trailer
The result is I miss a good number of decent to excellent films (I have yet to see 3:10 to Yuma, No Country For Old Men, or There Will Be Blood), especially because that certain je ne sais quoi--money--has been lacking. However, this my criteria also means I avoid almost all the bad ones--The Mist is the exception that proves the rule. I have discovered good movies via trailers, e.g. Brick, and gained interest in films which I had unthinkingly dismissed, e.g. Persepolis.

Thus, emboldened by Paul's well turned movie reviews, a certain idea has leapt to the front of my mind: review movie trailers. I might end up seeing more movies (since my job prospects seem to be looking up, the je ne sais quoi won't be lacking). So in the tradition of Trailer Park, let's begin. My purpose: To determine if a film deserves anticipation or apathy.

And where to begin but with movies that haven't come out yet. Yahoo! Movies has put out a list of the 10 Most-Anticipated Films of the Year. They are, in order of release date:
  1. Cloverfield
  2. Rambo
  3. Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who
  4. Iron Man
  5. Speed Racer
  6. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
  7. Sex in the City
  8. WALL-E
  9. Wanted
  10. The Dark Knight
If this list seems a bit incomplete or inadequate, it is. The Dark Knight, the last film on the list to be released, comes out July 10th. Yahoo! has left out all the Fall and early Winter fare which traditionally garners awards Spring and Summer films rake in money. Late Winter films generally scrape the bottom of the barrel and prove that audiences don't listen to critics, e.g. Norbit. Even if this list is inadequate, reviews of bad movies can be more enjoyable than reviews of good movies. Look for reviews of these trailers soon!

If you think any films coming out in the next six months were unjustly left off, tell me in the comments!

No comments: